Child enjoys a story with her parents during a therapy session

Carpentaria Kids

Carpentaria Kids is a multi-disciplinary team of Allied Health therapists who provide developmental therapy in a trans-disciplinary context.

We provide assessments in Darwin to assist children, these include: Speech therapy for children, Occupational therapy for children, Physiotherapy for children and Psychology for children.

Carpentaria is a registered NDIS provider for Early Intervention Supports for Early Childhood. Further details about the NDIS are available here.

Carpentaria Kids provides comprehensive evidence based therapy and family support services utilising a relationship based approach. We tailor our sessions to the individual needs, preferences and developmental level of each child, using a developmental play-based approach. Carpentaria Kids works in partnership with families to ensure that we continue to meet the needs of the children and their families.

Carpentaria Kids offers:

  • Support and comprehensive information on a child’s disability or developmental delay
  • A multi-disciplinary assessment in Darwin including child Speech Therapy, child Physiotherapy, child Occupational Therapy and child Psychology
  • An individual Family Service Plan and an Individual Program for each child
  • Ongoing visits by therapists to the family home, preschool, day care centre and other settings to implement the therapy program
  • Support and guidance to help children with important transitions such as starting school
  • Liaison with local and interstate services needed by the family, including medical and specialist services

Carpentaria Kids is currently Northern Territory Government funded until 30 June 2018 to provide between six and twelve therapy sessions per treatment block to children aged 0 to 6 years old with significant developmental difficulties in the greater Darwin area. There are four treatment blocks per year.

Learn more about the Carpentaria Kids program in a 2 minute video here. A longer 7 minute overview is available here.

Carpentaria Kids Fee for Service

Carpentaria Kids also offers sessions to families that they can pay for; “fee for service” sessions. There is no age limit on the children accessing this service.

You may choose to access fee for service therapy sessions when:

  • Your child is not eligible for the NT Government funded sessions
  • You would like more than 6 therapy sessions in a block
  • You would like to access a therapist from another discipline

Fee for service sessions with an Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist, Speech Pathologist and Psychologist are available.

There is a range of funding options available to help you to access additional therapy services, including:

Helping Children with Autism (HCWA) provides children with a diagnosis of Autism with access to up to $12,000 (up to $6,000 per financial year) of early intervention, up to age of seven. Children must be registered with an autism advisor before their sixth birthday to access this funding. Please note that physiotherapy is not covered under the Helping Children with Autism funding.

Better Start Program funding gives children with specific diagnoses up to $12,000 (up to $6,000 per financial year) of early intervention until they turn seven. Contact us to discuss which diagnoses are eligible for this funding.

Private Health Insurance rebates may be available, depending on your policy. Talk to your private health provider for further information.

Medicare Health Care Plans help families to access therapy for their children. These include:

  • Chronic Disease Management Plan
  • Medicare Benefits for Individuals with Autism
  • Allied Health Services under Medicare for people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent
  • Better Access Mental Care Plan

Your doctor will assist you in writing a plan and your rebate amount will depend on which plan you have. Carpentaria Kids can provide you with further rebate information.

Families with a Centrelink Health Care Card are eligible for bulk billing and no out of pocket expense will be incurred.

How do I refer my child?

Anyone can refer a child, including parents/carers, Paediatricians, NT Government Children’s Development Team, Early Childhood Australia and Student Services. Download a Request for Service form here.

Contact us for further details or to make an appointment.