Adult Allied Health Team
Carpentaria’s Adult Allied Health Team includes professionals from a range of disciplines, including Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Physiotherapy and Social Work. The team focuses on positive behaviour, communication requirements and social engagement, with tailored programs for each individual.
Carpentaria is a registered NDIS provider for Adult Allied Health Team services. Further details about the NDIS is available here.
Some of the functions performed by Carpentaria’s Adult Occupational Therapist include:
- Assessment, treatment and education in all areas of daily life, considering the ‘whole person’
- Disability equipment, for the bathroom, kitchen, bedroom etc
- Home modifications such as grab rails, doorways, access, lighting and wet areas
- Safe movement of clients, to benefit clients and staff
- Practice of daily activities such as personal care, cooking and community access
- Cognitive reviews relating to decision making, safety and functional activities
- Falls prevention education and monitoring
- Supporting staff to follow recommended client exercise and stretching programs
- Referrals to other allied health and medical services
- Recommendations to improve quality of life of clients
Speech Pathologists work with people across the lifespan. They provide assessment, diagnosis and intervention(s) for people with speech, language, communication and swallowing needs. Speech pathologists work with a range of people who experience difficulty communicating because of brain injuries, learning disability, intellectual disability, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Cerebral Palsy, Dementia, hearing loss and other problems that can affect how a person communicates.
Speech Pathologists work closely with participants to provide:
- Assessment and prescription of Augmentative and Alternative Communication devices
- Oral eating and drinking care plans
- Formal speech and language assessment and development of therapy programs
- Communication training programs for those people working closely with participants
Social Workers work with individuals, families, groups and communities in the context of their physical, social and cultural environments, their past and current experiences, and their cultural and belief systems. Social Workers maintain a dual focus assisting with, and improving human wellbeing and identifying and addressing any external issues that may impact on wellbeing, or may create inequality, injustice and discrimination. Consistent to all social work practice is a commitment to human rights and social justice.
Adult Education & Communications
The Adult Education and Communication Facilitator works with the Speech Pathologist to support clients with complex communication needs by producing a range of inclusive learning tools. Working alongside the Speech Pathologist, they provide training to support workers and families to enable communication friendly environments.
Contact us for further details about Carpentaria’s Adult Allied Health Team.